Spring 2009 Business Meeting Minutes
MAA-North Central Section
Minutes of the Business Meeting
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Reports from Section Officers
- Secretary: Co Livingston
72 people registered for this meeting, but additional people were counted.
Organizers of NExT, Student Sessions, any special sessions or workshops should work closely with the section secretary in organizing things.
- Treasurer: Randy Westhoff
Budget report reviewed.
- Information Officer: Shawn Chiappetta
Campus reports will be due in late August to facilitate the publishing of a hard copy newsletter in the fall.
- Student Activities Coodinator: Peh Ng
Planning activities for the fall meeting at UND, Grand Forks.
- Section NExT: Kris Nairn
10 participants at this meeting. Discussed activities to promote student participation.
Deadline for nominating new faculty for the Section NExT is near the end of September.
- Governor: Jennifer Galovich
17 new publications in 2008, 11 in 2009. 3 MAA guides are underway (number theory, analysis, algebra). PREP funded through 2013. MAA Online - Check out Minute Math, Number of the Day. Monday-the MAA is solvent.
MathFest is August 6-8, 2009 in Portland, OR.
Joint Meetings are Jan. 13-16, 2010 in San Francisco, CA.
- MAA President: David Bressoud
MAA is undertaking a 5-year large-scale study of calculus. Who takes it? How is it taught? Results? 500 colleges and universities involved.
- Former Governor: Gerry Bergum
Gave his file of his 1999 talk on the history of the section to Ralph Carr.
- Thanks to:
- Kris Nairn and Shawn Chiappetta: Section NExT Workshop
- Tom Sibley and Matt Richey: Program Review Workshop
- Tina Garrett and Matt Haines: Special Session on Number Theory and Combinatorics
- Peh Ng: Student Activities
- Co, Randy and Shawn: for everything
- Outgoing officers/chairs: Tom Sibley (past-president), Co Livingston (secretary), Kris Nairn (board), Steve Leonhardi (meritorious committee chair), Keith Agre (teaching committee chair)
- Hamline University: Arthur Guetter, faculty and students.
- Election of Officers
- For President-elect: Jason Douma, University of Sioux Falls (approved)
- For Secretary: Joel Iiams, University of North Dakota (approved)
- For At-large representative: Angela Hodge, North Dakota State University (approved)
- Summer Seminar: Computational Combinatorial Geometry, July 19-24, 2009, St John's University
- MAA-NCS Fall 2009 Meeting: October 23-24 University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND
- NCS Team Contest: November 14, 2009
- MAA-NCS Spring 2010 meeting: April 23-24, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN
- Other meetings Spring 2010:
- Nebraska/SE South Dakota MAA section meeting, April 9, 10, Vermillion, SD
- Regional AMS meeting, April 9-10, Macalester College
- Pi Mu Epsilon conference, April 16-17, St. John's University, Speaker: Claudia Neuhauser
- MCTM, April 29-May 1, 2010, DECC in Duluth
- Encourage your institution to join MAA-NCS.
- Submit items to the NCS newsletter early next fall.
- Nominate Colleagues for the Meritorious Service Award (Dan Kemp, SDSU, chair) or for the Distinguished Teaching Award (Dan O'Laughlin, St. Catherine, chair).
- Suggest colleagues (or self) for NCS officers, committees, plenary speakers. (See the past-, present-, or future-NCS president to do this.)
- Volunteer to host a future NCS meeting.
- Bring a colleague, bring a student, give a talk.
- Help advertise the NCS Summer Seminar, come to the Summer Seminar.
- Distinguished Teaching Awardee: Danrung Huang, St. Cloud State University.
- Meritorious Service Award: Tom Sibley, St. John's University.
Submitted May 12, 2009